WhiteWater West is seeking a Controls, Team Lead to join our Mechatronics Team at our Richmond head office!
The Controls Team Lead is responsible for the Mechatronics Controls Team and leads them in the design of automated control systems and ride effects for complex amusement rides. This includes mentoring team members, allocating project resources, monitoring team performance metrics, and working with the Mechatronics Engineering Manager to ensure the smooth operation of the team. The role includes technical duties including electrical system design & review, risk analysis, PLC programming, design reviews, and ride controls commissioning. The Controls Team Lead will also work to integrate the controls design function within the engineering department and within the Company.
- Manage and mentor a team of technical specialists in the design, delivery, and commissioning of ride control systems.
- Ensure conformance of designs to Company standards and to the appropriate industry codes (CSA, UL, ISO, CE, ASTM, GB, etc.).
- Participate in product risk analysis and define safety system design requirements resulting from these.
- Perform design reviews on electrical designs and PLC programs.
- Work with Project Managers to assign team members to projects and coordinate their day-to-day activities to optimize workflow.
- Coordinate the activities of external design contractors with internal project deliverables.
- Develop and promote standard product designs and documentation within the team and Company.
- Coordinate with other team leads within the Mechatronics Group for the timely commissioning of controls projects.
- Initiate and manage relationships with equipment suppliers and manufacturers to maintain product relevancy and to ensure compliance with Company and Industry standards.
- Maintain product and project design documentation as per the Company’s standards – use the ERP & ECO processes to control product revisions.
- Use and lead resolution of Non-Conformance Reports (NCR) and Opportunities for Improvement (OFI).
- Support sales proposals by providing preliminary design information and costs.
- Support Customer Service by providing a technical support service and electrical system trouble shooting to existing customers, in cooperation with other departments.
- Recruit, train, and provide performance feedback to team members.
- Show respect for people through positive communication, consideration and collaborative relationships.
- Maintain and follow best practices in Engineering, Health & Safety, Customer Service, Quality, and Lean Management.
- Execute responsibilities according to lawful and ethical standards.
- Define and align personal goals with departmental goals.
Qualifications & Experience
- Degree in Electrical Engineering or Diploma in Electrical Engineering Technology or similar.
- 10+ years of experience in a similar position including team lead/management experience.
- Experience with circuit analysis and electrical prototyping and troubleshooting.
- Hands on experience with mechanical systems and pneumatics.
- Experience with AutoCAD software for electrical drawings.
- Experience in PLC and HMI programming for automated control systems.
- Experience with on-site commissioning and troubleshooting of complex control systems.
- Knowledge of electrical installations in harsh or marine environments.
- Experience with electrical panel design, build, and testing, an asset.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Excel.
- Ability to travel globally on short-term basis for periods up to 2+ weeks at a time.
- Must be able to travel globally without restrictions.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
- Ability to motivate, mentor and contribute to a positive and results oriented team environment
- Ability to work in a team or matrix environment and independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective internal and external working relationships with all levels in the organization.
- Strong people management skills
- Customer service focus including a professional and diplomatic attitude.
- Able to meet tight deadlines in a fast paced, fun and professional environment.
- Possess a mechanical aptitude.
- Creative, innovative and open to new concepts.
- Detailed oriented with the ability to see the big picture.
- Excellent time management, organization and priority defining skills.
- Exceptional ability to listen, communicate (written and oral) and collaborate.
- Organized and pro-active with administrative tasks.
- Flexible individual with the ability to multi-task and prioritize a changing workload.
- Hands-on, role-up your sleeves, do whatever it takes to get the job done attitude.
- Ability to communicate in other languages is an asset for international travel.
WhiteWater was born in 1980 with one clear purpose, to create places where families unite and make joyful lasting memories.
We achieve this by standing alongside our customers from concept to completion of award-winning attractions, from slides to water rides and everything in between. We aim to inspire our clients by unleashing our creativity to realize their ambitions; we craft solutions which make each park unique. We are dedicated to making products that operators can count on, because we understand the importance of reliability and efficiency on the bottom line.
As market leaders, we put our success down to our attitude, in all our years we’ve never once forgotten why we’re here – to help parks solve problems, create immersive experiences, and delight guests all over the world.
We’re here to create places where fun can thrive.