Position: Director, Design
Department: Design & Architecture
Reports to: Chief Business Development Officer
The Director of Design is responsible for developing, leading and overseeing the delivery of all waterpark design proposals, contract design work and projects including planning and scheduling of proposal delivery. This position plays a key role in ensuring design solutions for both indoor and outdoor waterpark projects are formulated and prepared including development of new ideas and products. Provides guidance and recommendations to the design team for improved standards and systems and systems. Represents WhiteWater at client on-site meetings in design and project planning meetings in collaboration with internal teams.
• Oversees and schedules all waterpark design proposals, design contracts, subcontractors and projects, ensuring all design proposals are delivered on time and on budget
• Provides quality control over design outputs
• Provides guidance and recommendations for continual improved standards and systems within the architectural process
• Lead concept development by formulating and preparing design solutions for both indoor and outdoor waterpark projects, and attractions integration.
• Work with internal teams to generate new ideas and projects
• Manages the design and architecture teams and helps develop employees
• In collaboration with sales, acts as the design/architecture subject matter expert interfacing directly with potential clients on all design proposals and projects; represents WhiteWater at on-site design and project planning meetings
• Enhancing the reputation and goodwill of WhiteWater and WhiteWater’s products, acting always in the best interests of the Company
• Attending certain tradeshows and industry events with a view to promoting products and enhancing market awareness
• on going communications with sales team on proposals and project requirements, schedules and status
• Develops, executes, and manages annual budget to meet overall Company goals
• Define goals for all direct reports and provides ongoing performance feedback, coaches and advises employees on personal development opportunities (learning, training plans, etc.)
• Accountable for accurate scoping and quoting of all design work (contracted or project) and provides regular financial updates for contracted work, billings and payments to Senior Leadership
• Accountability: Holds oneself and others responsible for quality, timely and cost-effective results; accepts responsibility for mistakes and frames them as opportunities for growth; models professionalism by fulfilling commitments and obligations.
• Collaboration: Maintains cooperative working relationships with co-workers; international sales team, actively contributes to team projects and organizational initiatives; capitalizes on diverse perspectives, experiences, knowledge and skills to enhance productivity and product quality.
• Mentors: Fosters the learning and development of others through coaching, motivating, and educating; ensuring that staff have the appropriate skills, technology and resources to succeed; takes a vested interest in the wellbeing and success of others.
• Interpersonal Communication: Keeps others informed of emerging information, strategies, and potential obstacles; actively listens and seeks to understand others’ perspectives; consistently delivers feedback constructively and respectfully; demonstrates cultural sensitivity and a willingness to connect with individuals from varied backgrounds.
• Authenticity: Presents a genuine and honest depiction of oneself to customers and colleagues; remains consistent in one’s intentions and interactions with customers and co-workers, open to sharing of oneself; trusting of others.
• Strategic Agility: Generates and reviews strategic options to achieve short, medium, and long-term goals and visions; plans, organizes, and identifies tasks and resources needed to achieve a goal; anticipates the impacts and risks of decisions; monitors and adjusts strategic direction as circumstances change.
• Vision: Develops and communicates long term strategies; inspires and persuades others to voluntarily follow direction, achieve organizational objectives, and adopt new positions; recognizes the relationship between broad concepts, themes and ideas.
• Flexibility & Adaptability: Adjusts behaviors considering new information, changes in situations, or shifts in priorities; remains productive through periods of transition, ambiguity or uncertainty; demonstrates openness to new experiences, ideas and cultures.
• Resilience: Remains calm during periods of stress or hardship; remains optimistic while experiencing diversity; recovers quickly from setbacks while maintaining focus on workable solutions; displays tact in high pressure situations.
Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor or Master’s Degree in landscape architecture or Architecture
• Minimum 10 years of hands on design experience as well as leading teams
• Essential to have a good knowledge of the entertainment industry
• Hands on experience with concepts, design and engineering as related to waterparks and amusement parks
• Proven proficiency in Microsoft Office, AutoCAD, Revit and other effective design software
• Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus superior organizational abilities.
• Superior written, spoken, comprehension and presentation skills.
• Comfortable working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with tight deadlines.
• Must be legally eligible to work in Canada
• Frequent international travel required (up to 35-40%)
• Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with all levels within the organization and external clients.
• Ability to encourage appropriate levels of service of external service providers.
• Ability to work independently and as a team.
• Self-starter and energetic.
• Ability to meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced, fun and professional environment.
• Confident without ego.
• Curious with the desire to understand.
• Excellent time management, organization and priority defining skills.
• Exceptional ability to listen, communicate and collaborate.
• Flexible individual with the ability to multi-task and prioritize a changing workload.
• Hands on, roll up your sleeves, do whatever it takes to get the job done.
• Motivate and contribute to a positive and results oriented team environment.
• Proactive and a keen learner.
• Executive presence and ability to influence, coach and mentor others.
• Highest degree of personal integrity and professional ethics.
• Essential understanding of design team dynamics providing continuous support.
Please submit your resume including the position title in the subject line of your email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Tell us in a short paragraph why you would be great for this position!
As a part of ensuring a safe and secure work place, successful candidates may (role dependent) have to complete a pre-employment drug & alcohol test and/or background check (references, credit, identity check and criminal).
Note: We will not be accepting candidates from recruitment agencies at this time. Only Candidates who are eligible to accept employment in Canada WITHOUT sponsorship will be considered.
WhiteWater, The ORIGINAL Waterparks & Attractions Company, is the leading global designer and manufacturer of innovative waterpark products and active family attractions for world-class clients. We specialize in waterslides, multi-level water play structures, wave-generating equipment, FlowRider® stationary surfing machines, harnessed attractions, interactive play and water rides.
WhiteWater is dedicated to providing the ultimate WOW experiences to our clients and their guests by delivering projects on time, on budget and to the industry’s highest quality and safety standards. Our industry leading innovation is driven by a team of over 600 extremely talented employees in 21 offices around the world working together to complete over 5,000 projects since 1980. Recently, WhiteWater was awarded Canada’s Best Managed Companies designation for its excellence in management and business practices.
At WhiteWater, we celebrate our diversity and highly value our employees. Our uniqueness is what makes us a creative, energetic, fast paced and innovative company. We are an exciting business in a unique international industry that promotes a flexible and positive work environment. We empower our employees with new technologies, and the latitude to do their best work. We have a collaborative and open door environment and acknowledge the need for work-life balance.