The Systems Technologist assists in the design, installation, and commissioning of automated control systems for complex amusement rides. This includes system design, electrical installation support, computer setup, network configuration, system testing and customer technical training. This is a key role that ensures new rides attain a technical design advantage that meet the high quality standards set forth by the company. The Systems Technologist is involved in projects from their initial design stage through to customer handover on-site and is responsible for ensuring ride control systems are performing to the customer’s satisfaction and have been installed and certified to all safety requirements.
- System design of amusement rides and slides control systems
- Travel internationally to perform field wiring, software installation, testing commissioning and customer training, typically for about 25% of the year.
- Install and troubleshoot computer networks.
- Troubleshoot mechanical and electrical systems.
- Liaise with customers while on-site for ride feature installations.
- Interacts with on-site electricians and mechanical installers.
- Provide technical training to client staff to maintain the rides.
- Create technical operations documents for installed systems.
- Update installation design documents to “as built” standards.
- Assist with Electrical / Electronic / Software prototyping for ride design advancements.
- Work within Company protocols for creating and filing storage of parts, assemblies and drawings.
- Use Non-Compliance Reporting (NCR) / Opportunity for Improvement (OFI) procedures.
- Respect for people through positive communication, consideration and collaborative relationships.
- Maintain and follow best practices in Engineering, Customer Service, Quality, Lean Management and Safety.
- Execute responsibilities according to lawful and ethical standards.
- Define and align personal goals with departmental goals.
Qualifications & Experience
- Diploma or Degree in Electrical or Electronic Engineering Technology or equivalent.
- 3-5 years of experience in a similar position.
- Experience with on-site commissioning and troubleshooting of complex control systems.
- Hands on experience with circuit analysis and electrical prototyping and troubleshooting.
- Knowledge of computer, networking, and RS232/485 communications setup and troubleshooting.
- Experience with AutoCAD software.
- Understanding of electrical installations in harsh or marine environments.
- Experience with PLC/HMI/VFD programming and commissioning.
- Understanding of EN/ISO13849 or IEC 61508 standards.
- Experience with FAT and SAT planning and completion.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Excel
- Ability to travel globally on short-term basis for periods of typically 2 weeks at a time.
- Must be able to travel globally without restrictions.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
- Ability to work in a team or matrix environment and independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective internal and external working relationships with all levels in the organization.
- Customer service focus including a professional and diplomatic attitude.
- Able to meet tight deadlines in a fast paced, fun and professional environment.
- Adept at problem solving and troubleshooting.
- Possess a mechanical aptitude.
- Creative, innovative and open to new concepts.
- Detail oriented with the ability to see the big picture.
- Excellent time management, organization and priority defining skills.
- Exceptional ability to listen, communicate (written and oral) and collaborate.
- Organized and pro-active with administrative tasks.
- Flexible individual with the ability to multi-task and prioritize a changing workload.
- Pro-active and a keen learner.
- Ability to communicate in other languages is an asset for international travel.